about

2AeM is a cooperative design effort composed of the 3 young Midwestern-sprung, spread-the world-out, out-and-out Architecture student-architects: nicholas m. reiter, Jessie Wilcox and Peter Nguyen. The team base was originally Milwaukee, WI but since has become a mobile abstraction or a state of mind. 2AeM is sometimes physical, sometimes sober, partially virtual, usually vocal, and all-the-time IN-it.

We are track jumpers, demons, villains and observing you right now. Design is the New and so are the Stakes.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

art of unemployment 1: Vegan Cow

Quitting my final service job in order to devote a couple months to grad school preparation was not without its dry consequences. I do not want to do my portfolio all the time, nor can I make myself do it. Along side my responsibilities to express myself well enough for my top-choice schools, I've begun several art projects to keep my mind in the sanity zone. Here is a sample: Vegan Cow.



Vegan cow sculpture uses one of the most plentiful materials known to me in the upper midwest: Common Bluegrass. Yes, lawn. In order to raise a cow, it needs around 167 lbs. of grass per day (25 lbs. of dry matter). I used substantially less. The sculpture is based on a unit system, the unit being one blade of grass, each being braided into long strands and held together with tension (thread). The process was time consuming and done in a few choice places representative of my unemployment: the park, the bed and the bus. Finally, it became a gift to a vegan friend, a perfect expression of folly on raw energy, time and the consumption of grass by livestock.

4 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous! what are the approx dimensions? i'm trying to understand the scale in the photo, but the material interaction is wunderbar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's about 3 or so inches by 2 and a half, maybe. Pretty small. Hard, but not too hard. I've thought of bigger applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i couldn't help thinking about a massive two or three story cows made from straw fields along 94. wouldn't that be incredible?... a whole fleet in the middle of a golden field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so Deborah Butterfield-esc. Her work are those super prevalent Metal cast driftwood sculptures of horses. This is Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete